Monday, January 18, 2010

How do I stop the squirrels emptying my hazlenut tree?

Each year, just before they are ripe, along comes the squirrel up the path and takes every single hazlenut off my tree and its the only time of year we ever see a squirrel as we live in a residential area.How do I stop the squirrels emptying my hazlenut tree?
From experience and following on to the last answer there is only one possible solution. It is quite drastic but I guarantee no more stolen nuts. Go to B%26amp;Q where you can purchase a chain saw. Then cut the bloodt tree down and poison the roots to kill it completely. No more squizzel problems. Unfortunately no more hazel nuts either. The little bu**ers strip just about everything edible in my garden including the birds nuts. I now have a pole with the nuts hanging from it and have to grease the pole weekly so they slide back down. Let them have them and buy yourself some from Asda.How do I stop the squirrels emptying my hazlenut tree?
Do you really want the hazelnuts??? If no, let the poor wee squirrely creature have them!!!!
Only solution is your trusty shotgun. Shoot the little blighters.
Ain't it shame that nuts are their staple diet. Have you tired googling for tips???
shoot the buggers!!





That or get some kind of net over/around your tree to prevent them from climbing it, but be warned they're clever little wotsits who can work out simple problems.





xxxx
Sorry this is not an answer, I just wanted to say I will be watching the answers with interest, especially after seeing programmes that show just how ingenious those little beggars can be when they are after food. A star for you question.


I'm watching.
Know how you feel. First year after we moved to new home I planted 400 crocus. Careful planting, colours drifting into one another, thought I was being really arty. Noticed squirrel in the garden once or twice but thought it had only pinched a few. WRONG. 5 measly crocus popped up the next spring. Now I keep the hose connected and give any squirrels that come visiting a thorough squirting.
How about one of those plastic owls or hawks on a stick/perch near the tree. Especially if you can get one where the wings move.
BB gun
Why would you want to stop them? Its a privilege that they have chosen your tree to visit.
Must agree with Jacobite and Maroon H if you don`t need them why deprive them of a favourite food and I would be priveleged if they chose my tree, but don`t tell them about my plum and apple trees.


We had a Red Legged Partridge nest in our garden and lay 14 eggs, she hatched 13 and proudly paraded them around our feeding station then took them away from the hatch nest to a place of safety.We were truly priveleged.
Assuming we are talking about Grey Squirrels they are vermin. They came over from the USA and like everything else from over there they are intent in destroying the environment. Trap and kill the squirrels. You are not allowed to release it elsewhere (1976 Wildlife %26amp; Countryside Act). If you are lucky enough to have red squirrels ignore all the above, they are protected.
You say its one squirrel. Then trap it and relocate to a different area.
why not let the squirrels have the hazlenuts to eat and you have something diffrent.

No comments:

Post a Comment