Wednesday, January 20, 2010

What's the best way to rid my tree of squirrerls ..... or my yard from squirrels ??

Either take away the food source that they are after (probably the nuts on the tree), or kill them. They are really hard to keep out, once they have found a food source that they like. You can pick up all of the nuts from you yard when they fall and throw them somewhere else. The squirrels should go where the food is.What's the best way to rid my tree of squirrerls ..... or my yard from squirrels ??
You know its funny.. a squirrel seem like just don't live around a Cajuns yard. My neighbor down the street sweet old lady that she is....she trap them squirrel and take them over to the cemetery , under some great big acorn trees, and release them in the middle of it. I wish she would release them to me sometime. Smothered squirrel is mighty good with buttermilk biscuits.What's the best way to rid my tree of squirrerls ..... or my yard from squirrels ??
I watched a show once about squirrels and peoples efforts to rid them from their yards- squirrels are crafty little acrobats and almost impossible to get rid of.


Many people tried many different methods, home remedies, products designed to stop or slow down the squirrels and it was amazing how they kept coming back and finding ways around the obstacles.





There are these things that you can put aroung the bottom of your tree, it is a cone shaped, little skirt you can put at the bottom of the tree and will prevent the squirrel from climbing up the tree- this was the most effective in keeping the squirrels out of the tree, the only problem would be if there were other trees closeby, telephone poles or wires or some other structure they can climb and then jump from into oyur trees.


THe fake owls and birds do not work- they figure out fast they are fake and will climb all over them.


motion detector sprinklers are somewhat effective but they quickly find a way around them and outside of the line of fire.





THe cones can usually be found at your garden or hardware store . There are also products liek this :


http://www.critter-repellent.com/squirre鈥?/a>


that were not addressed in the show but I do not know how effective they are - again though, if you sprinkled it in your yard and they staeyd off the ground in your yard, this would not necessarily prevent them from being in your trees if there were structures close enough for them to jump from to the tops of your tree(s)
I wish you could send them all down to me . I feed gobs of peanuts to my squirrels . If we don't help the animals that we took so much away from , we're a miserable example of humanity .
If you talk to your local animal shelter they may loan you a trap. If not they are not expensive, just be aware that the new theory going around is that squirrels have a pecking order just like people. The ones at your place are keeping theo thers away, take yours away and others will move in. I trap squirrels and take them to the local Forest and release them. It is about 5 milkes away and across a mojor 4 lane road. They make new friends there. I only trap the ones that are on my deck and go after my tomatoes. Last year I relocated about 15, this year none have come onto the deck.

No comments:

Post a Comment