Friday, January 22, 2010

Getting squirrels is fairly easy but certain ones outsmart me like going on the opposite side of a tree?

I have had a few squirrels go on the opposite side of the tree and i keep walkign around it and cannot find it any way to get it to come around ?Getting squirrels is fairly easy but certain ones outsmart me like going on the opposite side of a tree?
Hunt with a partner or a dog.Getting squirrels is fairly easy but certain ones outsmart me like going on the opposite side of a tree?
I always just threw my hat to the other side of the tree and stood still waiting for them to come back to my side.
a good squirrel dog helps but if you don,t have one just pick up a rock or a tree limb off the ground and throw it in the woods on the side he is hiding on and he will come around to you
next time you go take some string with you and when you start to walk around the tree tie the string to a small bush then walk around to the other side and when ready pull the string to shake the bush and that should have that squirrel on your side of the tree then take your shot
Oh, buddy! I know that trick...Fox squirrels love that one!





Best way to deal with it, is to take a cheap slingshot and some little rocks with you. Sure, you can throw rocks, but there is alot of motion in throwing rocks. With the slingshot, just launch your little rock into the brush on the squirrel's side of the tree...preferably thirty feet or so from the tree...then get ready, because the squirrel will usually think you got the slip on him, and jump back around the tree pretty quick.


Then, he's supper!
when hunting alone you can use your orange hat to lay on the ground then walk to the other side of the tree.This usually works very well.
DON'T KILL THE SQUIRRELS.


YOU MEAN
i would take a partner with me and go on opposite sides
The general consensus is to throw something to the other side of the tree and let Mr. squirrel come around to your side of the tree. I agree with that tactic but also find that if I just move away from the tree a little way and just wait, the squirrel will often come around the tree to see where I am or if I have left. Just be ready and harvest him. Of course, you must be alert to the possibility that he may simply try to go to another tree and you will have to keep scanning the tree tops for him. When I hunt I am not in any hurry so I like the waiting method. A big part of the hunt for me is just being in the woods and enjoying the scenery. If I bring home squirrels, it is just icing on the cake.
in my younger days, i used to take a couple of large steel bearings with me. holding in one hand and clicking them together makes a sound like a squirrel barking. being a mite curious, old mr. squirrel naturally looks around to see who's yelling at him. you'd be surprised at how well this works.
take a friend
Take a piece of heavy string and tie to a small bush or limb on opposite side of tree and pull it causing limb to move ,squirrel will move to your side of tree then you can shoot it.
Patience sir, patience. If you're using a shotgun, you don't usually have to be very patient either, just put the bead on any hair you can spot and you'll usually collect a squirrel.

No comments:

Post a Comment