Wednesday, January 20, 2010

What can I do to stop squirrels from eating the peaches in our peach tree?

Please help! I would like some peaches left for some cobblers' this summer.What can I do to stop squirrels from eating the peaches in our peach tree?
If these are ground squirrels the best defense is a metallic cone deflector placed on the trunk of the tree. The squirrels can't climb around it as they can't hold on to it. The shiny metal also is unpleasant to them.





These squirrel deflectors also keep the rascals off the bird feeders.





If these don't work, reinforced netting would be the only other thing.What can I do to stop squirrels from eating the peaches in our peach tree?
Sorry, I don't agree with the ';need water'; theory. We have a small creek 200 feet away. The neighbor feeds nuts to the squirrels literally all day long (they are delivered in bulk every couple of weeks). They also has several fountains out for them. We have a squirrel expressway through the yard. The little *@)#*)s will still strip my tree the day peaches ripen. One day and they're gone. I hope the buggers get diarrhea. The only cure short of killing 30 of them is to pick peaches the day before they ripen.
I agree with Snow. I have three bird baths in my garden and one more in the front yard. I also have squirrels. They never bother my strawberries or other fruits and I think it is because the water is so readily available for them.
I don't think there is anything short of exterminating the squirrels. We had a few peach trees and never got a single peach because of the squirrels. They eat them when the peaches are still green and hard.
you can try putting out dishes of water. squirrels mostly eat fruit for the water it provides and sometimes if there is another source of water they leave the fruit alone.
Tie a Mars bar to each branch everyday for a week. Then stop.


When Mr Squirrel comes to your door and says ';Oi, where's my Mars Bar ?';, grab him and send him off to another area.
cut down the tree and buy your peaches at the store. the squirrels will stop eating the peaches. Problem solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment